By Eric J. Reuland
The guidelines awarded by way of the contributions during this quantity originated in a workshop on Burzio’s generalization. Burzio’s Generalization (BG) states verb which doesn't assign an exterior theta-role to its topic doesn't assign structural accusative Case to an item and conversely. It connects cross-linguistic similarities among e.g. passives, elevating verbs, and unaccusatives. in spite of the fact that, it does so via linking very varied homes of a predicate. This increases primary questions about its theoretical prestige. The contributions during this quantity discover BG’s theoretical foundation. A consensus emerges that BG is, in truth, an epiphenomenon, end result of the interplay of other rules of grammar. furthermore, the contributions express a amazing convergence as to how BG is finally derived. the implications bought make an important contribution to the additional improvement of theories of Case and thematic family members.
Read Online or Download Arguments and Case: Explaining Burzio’s Generalization PDF
Similar grammar books
Eastern: A entire Grammar is an entire reference advisor to trendy eastern grammar.
Accessible and systematic, it explores the complexities of the language completely, filling many gaps left by way of different textbooks. transparent grammar issues are installed context utilizing examples from a variety of eastern media. The emphasis is firmly on modern eastern as spoken and written by way of local speakers.
Key positive aspects of the ebook include:
* assurance of colloquial and traditional eastern
* huge cross-referencing
* designated index of jap and English phrases
* updated actual examples of present utilization
* larger emphasis on constructions that beginners locate fairly complicated
* word list of linguistic terms.
Written through specialists of their fields, jap: A entire Grammar will turn out an enduring and trustworthy source for all freshmen of Japanese.
Serving as a short reference, this advisor summarizes almost everything of English grammar and utilization. It is useful computer structure for three-ring binders and covers issues together with grammar, spelling principles, diction, mechanics, punctuation, writing powerful sentences, developing paragraphs, compositions, and time period papers.
Syntactically conversing, it has lengthy been identified that noun words are parallel to clauses in lots of respects. whereas so much syntactic theories comprise this precept, nouns have normally been considered as not so good as verbs when it comes to their licensing skills, and nominal projections were considered as much less complicated than verbal projections by way of the variety of sensible different types that they include.
- Crosslinguistic Studies of Clause Combining: The multifunctionality of conjunctions (Typological Studies in Language)
- The Clause Structure of Wolof: Insights into the Left Periphery (Linguistik Aktuell/Linguistics Today)
- Unaccusative Verbs in Romance Languages (Palgrave Studies in Pragmatics, Language and Cognition)
- Reversible Grammar in Natural Language Processing
- Morphosyntactic Change: A Comparative Study of Particles and Prefixes (Cambridge Studies in Linguistics)
- Grammars and Grammaticality, Edition: 1st
Extra resources for Arguments and Case: Explaining Burzio’s Generalization
Although the examples in (11)–(13) violate (8a), they are consistent with the definition of dependent case. Although these sentences have non-thematic subject positions, the derived subject and the NPs getting case are in distinct chains, allowing for dependent case assignment. , Yip et al. 1987) or that rely on notions of dependent case requiring that one case be assigned in a clause only after some other case is assigned or realized. On the present theory, although the feature in an NP may depend on syntactic properties of other NPs in a clause, in an NP does not depend on the features in other NPs.
8) a. Haben je Linguisten ODEN interessiert? have ever linguists- odes- interested? ‘Have linguists ever been interested in odes’ 38 HUBERT HAIDER b. c. Haben Odeni je LINGUISTEN ei interpretiert have odes- ever linguists- 0 interpretiert? ’ Haben je LINGUISTEN Oden interpretiert? have ever linguists odes interpreted? The crucial difference in the argument structure between double objects and the two arguments of transitive psych-verbs is exactly the exceptional dissociation of subject selection and ranking: A transitive psych-verb has an argument designated for external licensing that is ranked lower than an undesignated argument.
Me is watching I am watching her (instead of: I am watching) For verbs with an optional direct object, as in (14a), this would imply that the subject is accusative (14a) unless an object is projected (14b). Only in this case the subject would be licensed as nominative. Note that (14) cannot be interpreted as an ergative case system. The ergative system would be (15): (15) a. b. I am watching Her is watching I (meaning: She is watching me) 42 HUBERT HAIDER What I propose is that the answer should be given in terms of an economy constraint on licensing: Licensing case by Agr simultaneously licenses the functional features (f-features) of the verb.