By Kazuko Obata
This grammar of Bilua, a revision of the author's PhD thesis, is the 1st finished description of the language. Bilua is spoken on Vella l. a. Vella island within the Western Province of the Solomon Islands. in keeping with the 1976 census there are approximately eighty five vernacular languages indigenous to the Solomon Islands. nearly all of those are Austronesian, yet between them are 4 Papuan languages, considered one of that is Bilua.
The grammar provided this is in accordance with the dialect of the Bilua sector, that is considered as commonplace through area people, most likely simply because Methodist missionaries who arrived early within the 20th century looked it because the language of the island.
In the previous, the Austronesian language Roviana used to be used as a lingua franca within the sector and so older humans on Vella los angeles Vella converse Roviana in addition to Bilua. besides the fact that, the function of Roviana has been taken over by way of Solomon Islands Pidgin that is utilized in basic colleges and in church ceremonies that are valuable to the lives of individuals in Vella l. a. Vella. there's a excessive cost of intermarriage among Vella l. a. Vella humans and other people from different islands and combined converse in Bilua, Pidgin, or one of many different Solomons languages. Pidgin phrases are combined into Bilua and infrequently humans change from one language to a different of their speech. hence the Bilua language is altering as a result impression of Pidgin, and, even if the inhabitants of Vella l. a. Vella is expanding swiftly, Bilua is endangered.
Read or Download A Grammar of Bilua: A Papuan Language of the Solomon Islands (Pacific Linguistics) PDF
Similar grammar books
Jap: A finished Grammar is an entire reference consultant to fashionable jap grammar.
Accessible and systematic, it explores the complexities of the language completely, filling many gaps left through different textbooks. transparent grammar issues are installed context utilizing examples from a number jap media. The emphasis is firmly on modern jap as spoken and written via local speakers.
Key positive factors of the e-book include:
* insurance of colloquial and conventional eastern
* large cross-referencing
* distinct index of jap and English phrases
* up to date genuine examples of present utilization
* larger emphasis on constructions that inexperienced persons locate fairly complicated
* thesaurus of linguistic terms.
Written through specialists of their fields, jap: A finished Grammar will turn out a long-lasting and trustworthy source for all novices of Japanese.
Serving as a brief reference, this consultant summarizes almost the whole thing of English grammar and utilization. It turns out to be useful laptop structure for three-ring binders and covers subject matters together with grammar, spelling principles, diction, mechanics, punctuation, writing powerful sentences, developing paragraphs, compositions, and time period papers.
Syntactically talking, it has lengthy been recognized that noun words are parallel to clauses in lots of respects. whereas such a lot syntactic theories contain this precept, nouns have quite often been considered as not so good as verbs when it comes to their licensing talents, and nominal projections were considered as much less complicated than verbal projections when it comes to the variety of useful different types that they include.
- On the Grammar of Optative Constructions (Linguistik Aktuell/Linguistics Today)
- Lexical-Functional Grammar
- Understanding English Grammar: A Linguistic Introduction
- Roots: Linguistics in Search of its Evidential Base (Studies in Generative Grammar)
- A Grammar of the Kui Language
Additional resources for A Grammar of Bilua: A Papuan Language of the Solomon Islands (Pacific Linguistics)
Eds). 1984. Studies in Relational Grammar 2. Chicago IL: University of Chicago Press. Perlmutter, David M. & Zaenen, Annie. 1984. The indefinite extraposition construction in Dutch and German. In Perlmutter & Rosen (eds), 171–216. Rosen, Carol G. 1987. Possessors and the internal structure of nominals. Ms, Cornell University. Rosen, Carol G. 1988. The Relational Structure of Reflexive Clauses. Evidence from Italian. New York, NY: Garland (annotated version of 1981 Harvard University dissertation).
The ability of nouns to host jointly predicative and argumental functions – first explored, in RG, by Rosen (1987), and widely assumed in the literature within different frameworks (cf. Bentley 2006: 100) – accounts for some properties related to NPS. g. in 4 presa agrees with nostalgia), and that it can be the source of the ne-partitive clitic as in (22): (22) (Di attacchi di panico)j , glienej presero tanti. e. surface) subjects. e. in 3. This accounts for the contrast between couples like (a) ~ (a1) and (b) ~ (b1) (Perlmutter 1983: 174): a.
5. Cf. Lea è stata inflessibile ~ Léa a été inflexible; Lea è stata sedotta dal fascino di Max ~ Léa a été séduite par le charme de Max. 6. For a more accurate formulation cf. La Fauci 1989; La Fauci and Loporcaro 1997; La Fauci and Rosen 2010. Non-canonical subjects in clauses with noun predicates given the definition of an auxiliary as a P inheriting a 1 from the preceding P-sector (cf. Rosen 1997: 192), also It. prendere / Fr. prendre (though unmarked for diathesis – in fact, both occur in diathetically different structures, see Section 5 – and marked for aspectual information, in contrast with ESSE / HABERE) occur in a syntactic environment similar to that of auxiliaries (as anticipated in Table 2).